ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Areas with no or bad internet: apt-zeroconf

on 06/29/2009 08:08 PM Daniel Holbach said the following:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I just had a chat with Jorge Castro who hosted a Hack-a-thon at his
> house over the weekend to resurrect apt-zeroconf:
>
> http://castrojo.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/resurrecting-apt-zeroconf/
>

> It strike me as an obvious and simple solution to serving packages in
> areas with no or little Internet.

That's the very good option. Here is my case where people are handling
such situation very well. I am interacting with one of the NGO, which is
using Ubuntu to give education to Village level school children. They
are using some education software and flash movie.

There no possibilities of Internet at Village level. So they are using
Remastrsys [1] to make custom Ubuntu Live DVD with Local Language
support. they are not worrying about any updates of Ubuntu, until and
unless they caught in any serious bug which can block their activity.
I think apt-zerconf is tool to discover in that case :)

[1] http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/remastersystool.html

I would also prefer UCK [2]. In my case, most NGO (In education) not
worrying about Updates. They just need Ubuntu CD  / DVD with their
choice of Packages (Say, Stand Alone Adobe Flash Player, Education
Software Stack etc...). Of they are looking for some version specific
Add-on CD if they want to try some new packages. For example If we come
up with CiviCRM package. Then we need script which can make Add-On CD
for particular Ubuntu version for that package with all dependency. So
end user only need that Add-On CD. I need to work in that direction. If
somebody has that solution already available please share /wikify it or
i am ready to take this challenge...

[2] http://uck.sourceforge.net/

--
Hardik Dalwadi