ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Areas with no or bad internet: apt-zeroconf

On 30/06/09 10:10, Hardik Dalwadi wrote:

> I would also prefer UCK [2]. In my case, most NGO (In education) not
> worrying about Updates. They just need Ubuntu CD  / DVD with their
> choice of Packages (Say, Stand Alone Adobe Flash Player, Education
> Software Stack etc...). Of they are looking for some version specific
> Add-on CD if they want to try some new packages. For example If we come
> up with CiviCRM package. Then we need script which can make Add-On CD
> for particular Ubuntu version for that package with all dependency. So
> end user only need that Add-On CD. I need to work in that direction. If
> somebody has that solution already available please share /wikify it or
> i am ready to take this challenge...

Yeah that's my experience with working with Camara aswell. Mostly, you
don't want or need to update distros. In fact if you have old hardware,
you don't want to upgrade to the latest version since it might slow your
low spec machine down.

A specific CD with certain sets of software would be great. i.e. "We
wanna teach programming", so create a CD with all compilers and IDEs and
documention and books on it. This "Programming CD" can then be
distributed and installed on many PC.

Rory McCann