ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Open-Source Software for my Nonprofit

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Daniel Holbach
<daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 05.10.2009, 10:54 +0200 schrieb Daniel Holbach:
>> Also it'd be nice if we could at least spell out which software we
>> recommend on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NGO/Software - if it's just of the
>> form
>>
>> || What || Name of Software || Homepage || Status / Comment ||
>> || Productivity suite || OpenOffice.org || http://openoffice.org || equivalent of Word/Excel/PowerPoint ||
>>
>> that'd be a good start.

There's already quite a few projects that attempt to provide this sort
of information. Including:

Open Source as Alternative - http://www.osalt.com/
Linux App Finder - http://www.linuxappfinder.com/alternatives
Linux Alternatives - http://www.linuxalt.com/

A quick Google search will also show a lot more.

> I had a conversation with Brad Crittenden and he had the great idea of
> also specifying the special needs that NGOs have above regular SOHOs.

This is the key point. Hopefully we can distill out of some of the
work we've already done (i.e. the interviews), some of these special
needs. This team isn't going to close Bug #1 on its own, but we can
hopefully meet some of these specific needs that NGOs have.

> Is somebody interested in kicking off the effort on
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NGO/Software ? Let's all take 5 minutes to make
> the page better!

I'll see if I can't give it a start...

> Have a great day,