ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Ubuntu based PC network - Gulu, Uganda

Hello everybody,

long time but first post on this very active and interesting mailing
list.

My name is Maurizio Bertoldi, I'm a member of Italian NGO Informatici
senza frontiere (http://www.informaticisenzafrontiere.org/)

I'm in charge of a project that focuses on (re)building an ICT
infrastructure for a local ugandese NGO, Comboni Samaritans of Gulu.
We have provided them with 30 used PC, all preinstalled with Ubuntu
9.04. A few days ago the PCs finally arrived to destination and I'm
planning a travel to set-up the system (level 1 and 2 ISO-OSI networking
is already in place). The PCs will be used for all the NGO activities,
like backoffice, administration, managing of their e-commerce site (have
a look, very nice and cheap stuff...I also have to do some small
marketing here, but the site really deserves it  :-):-)

http://www.wawotokacel.org/

Since I read Jan Stedehouder's post about a similar project in Gambia, I
thought it was finally time to share my experience.

Main concerns/open points at this time:

- local maintenance and training
- hardware / software failures
- internet connectivity (also for remote administrations)

What I'm looking into:

- basic server infrastructure (file and print server, intranet, proxy)
- e-learning - distance training
- frontline sms for information sharing
- windows software compatibility

If anybody wants to share any comment or suggestions or need some more
informations on the project, just step up and ask :-)

Cheers,
Maurizio

Follow ups