ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Call for support, rolling out Ubuntu PC's in Gambia, Senegal, Mauretania

Hi everyone,

I'd like to forward a request that a Dutch NGO did concerning an
Ubuntu-related project in Gambia, Senegal and Mauretania.

The NGO is GoForAfrica (http://goforafrica.nl/). The Dutch Ubuntu-NL
community lend their support in preparing 30 computers for use in
various projects
(http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/installatie/hulp-bij-installatie-20-computers-voor-goforafrica/).
The computers use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. My personal involvement was in
preparing a instruction set with existing manuals in the use of Ubuntu
and various open source programs, as well as a small set of videos to
give some visual instruction (direct download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/138295/Instructie%20v3.tar.gz). I am working
on a report in English of this joint effort, so more people can read
about it.

The computers will be shipped to Gambia on February 7th 2010 and
GoForAfrica is looking for volunteers to train ICT-staff in various
schools and help setup the ICT-class rooms. Volunteer are requested to
be available from beginning-March till mid-April. Lodging is taken
care of, so it will mostly come down to covering your travel costs to
and from Gambia, Of course they are still looking for sponsorships, so
feel free to chip in if you can.
(http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/software-en-configuratie/helpdesk-gambia-wie-kan)

If you wish to volunteer and are available at the time, please feel
free to contact me and I will forward your support to the coordinator
from GoForAfrica. Of course you can spread the word about this request
to all of your friends ;-)

Kindest regards,

Jan Stedehouder
Stavenissestraat 18
3086 RG Rotterdam
06 - 44 357 105

P.S. An earlier version of this request was send from a different
e-mail address. If this should lead to a double post, I apologize.