ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu NGO Paper Jams - Feedback needed

paul.roeland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> here's my two cents, based on Friends of the Earth experience:
>
> - a 'known-good' example setup for LDAP is vital. Not only to have
> uniform logins over a number of workstations, but once you have set it
> up, it becomes a lot easier to hook all kinds of systems into that
> without setting up separate accounts. We hook our website and
> intranet/extranet (running on Plone, www.plone.org) into it, and you get
> instant accounts for everybody.
>
> - we use OpenERP for accounting now, packaging that could be an option.
> It's a very full-featured solution, including bookkeeping, CRM and lots
> of other options. It's probably impossible to make an example setup,
> because tax regulations are so different in different countries, but the
> same goes for GNUcash. Although maybe the anglo-saxon world has some
> more uniform bookkeeping, but in continental europe every country has
> it's own quirks and rules...
>
> - we use Davical http://www.davical.org/ as a calendaring solution. It
> works quite well with the Lightning plugin for Thunderbird, and can
> synchronize with LDAP. It also means you can stick to your favourite
> mail setup (we prefer Postfix and Dovecot-IMAP). Most of the other
> 'groupware' solutions are more of a black-box setup, and that can be a
> problem if you for instance run multiple domain-names, mailinglists
> etcetera. Davical does just calendaring, but does it fine.
> Davical has it's own Debian repository, should be a snap to include in
> ubuntu-server.
>
> - Funambol is an open-source server that can synchronize calendars,
> todo's etcetera with mobile phones. It works with LDAP, can synchronize
> with (for instance) Davical, but is a major hassle to set up. This would
> probably be a fine candidate to set up as a Virtual Appliance, because
> it needs just about every Java framework under the sun, and claims an
> insane number of ports. But, once it's working, it's a great solution to
> keep everyone in your organisation always up-to-date. It can do
> pushmail, and works with any modern smartphone.
> It depends on your needs, but our employees are working quite often in
> the field, away from the office, and then a speedy way of synchronzing
> calendars and mail can be a very effective tool.
> But, as said before, it took me quite some time to set up. A Virtualbox
> or KVM image might be a better idea.
>
> - more on a workflow level: we could point out simple alternatives that
> make life easier for volunteers and save on training costs. Let's face
> it, Gimp is great but very complex. And about 95% of the people don't
> need it just to shrink a picture for web use. Gthumb or even better
> Phatch (http://photobatch.stani.be/) can be set up so that casual
> workers and volunteers can become productive immediately
>
> Paul Roeland
> Friends of the Earth Netherlands

I'm going to start work on the paper jams this week if anyone else wants
to get involved.
The server team have set up "paper cuts" this could be linked to an NGO
in some cases as a Paper Jam , something bigger than a paper cut that
effects multiple teams.
http://ubuntuserver.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/ubuntu-server-papercuts-project/

Laura

--