ubuntu-nz team mailing list archive

Re: No Subject

Ok reading your post it looks like you've already hosed the old drive??

If not you can use one of the following 3 ways to do what you're trying to
do...

You can use the commands described in this thread:

The tidy way of doing it (mentioned in the last post)
http://www.arsgeek.com/2006/09/19/ubuntu-tricks-how-to-generate-a-list-of-installed-packages-and-use-it-to-reinstall-packages/

Another way listed here:
http://www.savvyadmin.com/backup-and-restore-package-lists-in-ubuntu/

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY hosed your old drive:
I'm no expert, but as I understand it you could write a simple shell script
to generate and run the required apt-get install commands using backticks `
or variables ripped from your text file

ALSO on the *backup* thinking method (I always prefer a clean install, but
backups are handy):

if the new harddrive was the same size as the old one you could just use dd
or such command to direct image the drive to the new one, but perhaps the
best method would rsync or some other backup utility...

perhaps there is a more expert person on this list then myself?

Gaspard