ubuntu-nz team mailing list archive

Re: NZ Loco Team Introduction

On 18 March 2010 16:12, Jaco <ubuntumuntu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As far as I'm aware, most local *ubuntu users are already involved with
> some LUG or other UG in their area (or simply NZLUG).
>
> May be worth-while posting something on those list to see what people are
> interrested in.
>
> As for advocacy activities, Software Freedom Day is coming up in a few
> months again, so it may be worth-while getting ready for that & make a
> larger push.

Is this year's event being held in Wellington again? I quite enjoyed being
involved last year. For people who don't know,
http://softwarefreedomday.org/ is the global website,
http://softwarefreedomday.org.nz/ is the corresponding local one.

> AFAIK, anything involving beer will draw a crowd

Very true.

Some context is called for then: On Monday, I start as AltSpace's Community
Manager. AltSpace is a coworking space in central Wellington for
consultancies, free lancers & other people who like the freedom of
independence but don't like the isolation of working at home. The policy for
community events is, if the organisers don't charge attendance, we don't
charge them.

Ergo - if anyone in the Wellington area would like to start a series of
meetups/hackfests/software miscellany, then there's space available for
exactly that purpose.

Tim