Re: On stolen device recovery

Would like to reinforce the notion of keeping big brother from abusing this kind of thing. Very very serious caution should be taken on this point. I feel that a special password ( not users or root)  should be required to give them access in this way. So that in other normal times they would have no access what so ever. Not even simple GPS or network traffic. Nothing.

Also I am completely against making signing up to Cloud services mandatory! It would be fine to explain the benefits during setup. And encourage the less tech savy person to sign up to protect them from data losses. But I am always keep backups of files on my own, and solely use the cloud for convenience of file transfer or keeping certain things in sync. I DO NOT want my whole life in the cloud.

I will not go into the political reasons why I take this firm stance as that's not the purpose of this list. But simply say that there are not nearly enough benefits to out way the big brother risks of abuse.

If indepth discussion is desired on this point. I suggest there be a special IRC appointment or forum thread so to not clog up this list.

   God Bless,
         Dan