Re: About WhatsApp implementation for Ubuntu phone

For WhatsApp, there is no way to identify what phone the other side is
using, and if there is, most likely WhatsApp will immediately use it to
block clients identified as Ubuntu phones

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Alan Miller <dralanmiller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gentlemen
> What do you think the chances are of implementing a secured version of
> this using OTR or ZRTP ?
>
> I am in favour of putting OTR or ZRTP  encryption at the lower parts of
> the stack and then bring up the fingerprints/hashes options into the phone
> UI, say a key icon beside the battery icon, the usual swipe down gives the
> encryption options.
> This would allow for opportunistic encryption peer to peer when two Ubuntu
> phones knew of each other,  regardless of what service was used and would
> stay silent when the other client was not an ubuntu.
>
> An equivalent generic messaging client that can support whatsapp (with PTT
> voice messages etc) in Ubuntu would be spectacularly useful. (especially if
> it could encrypt).
>
> What do you think the chances are  of this being a reality ?
>
> Thanks
> Kind Regards
> AGM
>
>  ----------------------------------------------------
> COMMERCIAL CONFIDENTIAL
> Alan Miller
> +852 91664961
> Skype: agmiller

> Silent Circle (SECURE):
> agmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> +1 972 468 0310
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *From: *Tarek Galal <tare2.galal@xxxxxxxxx>
> *Subject: **Re: [Ubuntu-phone] About WhatsApp implementation for Ubuntu
> phone*
> *Date: *14 March, 2013 1:34:24 AM HKT
> *To: *Matthias Gehre <gehre.matthias@xxxxxxxxx>
> *Cc: *"ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> Yeah well telepathy itself could be supporting everything, but I guess it
> would be Ubuntu's telepathy client limitations, right? I haven't tried it,
> but I mean I haven't seen a telepathy client (yet) which displays delivery
> receipts (even when telepathy itself supports it). Same case for displaying
> contacts' "last seen at" and group icons. And these are only a few thing on
> top of my head. Also what about Emoji support?  I released BB10 client like
> 4 days ago and already getting a lot of complaints for not supporting Emoji.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Matthias Gehre <gehre.matthias@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> To clarify: ubuntu phone messaging menu/empaty/ KDE telepathy etc, can
>> already be used, but they only show the "content" field of the message.
>>

>> 2013/3/13 Matthias Gehre <gehre.matthias@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>> Hi Tarek,
>>>
>>> I'm Matthias, the developer of whosthere, a whatsapp client for ubuntu /
>>> ubuntu phone. It's implemented as a telepathy service (using yowsp). There
>>> shouldn't be any features missing by using telepathy, everything is/can be
>>> wrapped into telepathy. (Receipts are supported natively by telepathy,
>>> image, location and so on are implemented as extended messages parameters).
>>> For example, a location is send as
>>> content-type=plain/text
>>> content= "location: \"" << name  << "\" at
>>> https://maps.google.com/maps?q="; << latitude << "," << longitude;
>>> x-whosthere-latitude = latitude