Re: Addressing the lack of Trademark License for YouTube, Twitter and Facebook Core Apps

On 03/18/2013 06:40 PM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
We currently are using Trademark brands of Twitter, YouTube and
Facebook (and others on Ubuntu.com mobile area) all outside of the
scope of each individual services Trademark policy... This is
something that needs to be addressed especially since some of the
words are also protected under copyright law and we are purporting to
be releasing the core apps under the GPL which would raise a major
conflict with the license.

See below:

Don't use Twitter in the name of your website, application or product.
- Twitter Trademark Policy

https://twitter.com/logo

"You may never use the YouTube logo in conjunction with the overall
name or description of your application, product, or service." -
YouTube Trademark Policy

https://developers.google.com/youtube/branding

"Avoid using Brand Assets in a way that suggests any type of
association or partnership with Facebook, or approval, sponsorship, or
endorsement by Facebook." - Facebook Brand Guidelines

"Do not use trademarks, logos, or other content that is confusingly
similar to the Brand Assets." - Facebook Brand Guidelines

https://www.facebook.com/brandpermissions/logos.php

One interesting thought is that the webapps we have at the Touch image are basically a bookmark/web link to the website. But I believe that the copyright would apply anyway.

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo