Re: [Development] Solution for a password/secret storage

On 03/18/2013 09:42 PM, Thomas Voß wrote:
> Having had a brief look at the API only, but the first question that
> comes to my mind is whether the X-centric approach of tying
> authentication dialogs to window IDs is feasible. I think we should
> rather focus on the application-instance centric approach that we are
> implementing for the rest of the system. What are your thoughts on this
> aspect?

There are two reasons why I'm not worried:

1) the window ID is passed as a string (!), so it shouldn't be hard to
re-use the same API with non-X display systems.

2) the method accepting a window ID parameter is part of the Prompt
object, which the client cannot create itself; only the Secrets service
can return a Prompt object in some cases; and our implementation could
(and most likely will) simply choose to never return this type of object
to the client.

Ciao,
  Alberto