Re: [Development] Solution for a password/secret storage

Hey guys,

Having a seamless security system, is something I think is very
important and have been thinking a lot about this recently.

I recently wrote a proposal for desktop security, and maybe this might
give you something to think about when designing security on the phone.
http://blog.sambull.org/security-design

As a quick thought about what I'd like to see. I would like to keep the
current design, with no lock screen. Then have a settings page where you
can choose which applications to lock. If you try to open one of the
locked applications, it unlocks it with your keyring, asking for your
password if needed.

It would be even better if we could also allow more fine-grained
control, as supported by each application. So, for example, the
telephony application could allow you to access it and view everything,
but require a password from the keyring in order to make a phone call or
send a message. This fine-grained control should be available in the
same settings page.

As the phone is used differently to a desktop, I would suggest that the
keyring would automatically re-lock after a time delay (like 10 mins),
when the screen is switched off, or a combination of both.

I might make a mock-up of the settings page when I get back later. What
do people think about this design?