Re: [Development] Qt/QML Python bindings

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Robert Bruce Park <
robert.park@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Errrm.... Javascript isn't "also inefficient". Qml is using V8 engine,
> which is quite a bit more performant than the Python VM (take your
> pick of benchmarks, they're all on the google).

Yes, JS is better, but still not the best performance-wise is what I had
meant. I didn't mean to lump them in so unceremoniously.

> Yeah, and I heard some african guy mention something about a phone, too.

Har har. :P I wasn't sure about the end goal and didn't want to spread
misinformation based on my understandings since I couldn't find a direct
quote. 'Cause we all know how badly that can go of late. Besides, the space
man wasn't the source.

Yes, Python is falling out of favor for performance reasons. But the
> issue being asked about here isn't that python is "second-party", it's
> that python is "no-party". It's currently *not even possible* to write
> a phone app in python.
>
> Of course, python is *on* the phone (convergence!) but currently it's
> only possible to write non-graphical applications with it. So you can
> use it for system daemons, but not for graphical apps. This is kind of
> a strange reversal, because historically you want to write your system
> daemons in a more performant language, and leave python for the easy
> job of gluing UI widgets together.

My bad. What I had been trying to ask (in a backwards, completely
unintelligible way) was if the job of bringing in python would be left to
the community at large instead of relying on Canonical devs to lead the
charge on hooking python into the phones GUI stuff. (As I tried to imply I
realize hands must be full with whipping the "new" toolkit into shape.) I
understand that python is not all there yet.