Re: Choice of included ARM toolchains

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 02:44:30PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi
> On Do, 2013-04-18 at 15:32 +0300, Jani Monoses wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I notice there are a four ARM cross compilers for linux-x86 in our tree.
> > Is it because various hw has been only shown to build and work
> > correctly with a specific one only?
> >
> > ./prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/
> > ./prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/
> > ./prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/linaro-4.7.2/
> > ./prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.6/
> >
> lol, funny that you just looked at the same stuff ...
> with teh following:
>
> rm -rf prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/mips
> rm -rf prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6
> rm -rf prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86
> rm -rf prebuilt/darwin-x86 # needs change for java version check
> (comment out line 126-128 in build/core/main.mk and make sure openjdk-6
> is installed on the host)
>
> this still gets me properly built images over here ... and saves about
> 700M in the tree ...
>

> steve langasek was looking into dropping all toolchains from the tree
> yesterday and instaed use the gcc-cross packages we provide in the
> archive ... afaik he ran into some linker issues with gold, if these are
> resolved we might be able to switch over and save a few gigs ...
> additionally the kernels for supported devices are just being moved out
> as well ... in the end we should have a much smaller tree.

Ricardo was working on a patch yesterday to remove all these. Should happen
soon.

I'm working on getting the need for java out of the way and that last email
ogra forwarded about updates sort of clears out a doubt we had last night.
But if anywhere, I'll follow up on that thread.

Cheers
Sergio

PS: frameworks base decreased in 400MB 6 hours ago. More on the way.