Re: Choice of included ARM toolchains

On 04/18/2013 09:44 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
hi
On Do, 2013-04-18 at 15:32 +0300, Jani Monoses wrote:
Hi,

I notice there are a four ARM cross compilers for linux-x86 in our tree.
Is it because various hw has been only shown to build and work
correctly with a specific one only?

./prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/
./prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/
./prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/linaro-4.7.2/
./prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.6/

We have multiple toolchains but I believe only the linaro one is being actually used at the build, that's why Oliver pointed that the build worked when removing the others.

And they are still there simply because there was no explicit need to remove them (which is kind of the case now).

steve langasek was looking into dropping all toolchains from the tree
yesterday and instaed use the gcc-cross packages we provide in the
archive ... afaik he ran into some linker issues with gold, if these are
resolved we might be able to switch over and save a few gigs ...
additionally the kernels for supported devices are just being moved out
as well ... in the end we should have a much smaller tree.

I'm working on removing the not needed ones at least, but I'm not yet convinced that we should remove all and just reuse whatever is available in the archive (at least not at this point).

The huge benefit of having the prebuilt toolchain as part of the build environment is that people don't need to care about which specific version of Ubuntu they are using at the host side.

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo