Re: about ubuntu touch clone for Android phone

On 04/22/2013 09:37 PM, Manoel Ramon wrote:
Hi
     Please I work to a mobile company and it means I have the full
source code access.. it means also I do NOT need the cyanogenmod for any
customization.
     Taking a look in your gitweb, I can see a lot of repositories
related to changes you have made in top of cyanogenmod.

     As I understood reading your pages, the ubuntu touch runs over the
linux kernel in the userspace.

Ubuntu Touch runs over the default Android (Linux) kernel which is usually already available for the device you're porting it to. You could not necessarily depend on having Android previously ported to your device, but it'll be way easier if you have it available already.

     Do you have some logs, docs, bugzilla, etc.. that could help me to
port ubuntu touch directly over my platform here instead to be based in
cyanogenmod ?

It's not required to be based on cyanogenmod, it's just easier if your device is already supported by it (or in case you want to enable via CM).

We initially had the images built on top of AOSP, so any internal tree you have that is compatible with jelly bean should already be enough.

Most of the changes we applied on top of the CM trees are basically to strip down the image, so we don't need to build the entire android userspace when we just need the core services and HAL. Check http://phablet.ubuntu.com/gitweb?p=CyanogenMod/android_build.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/phablet-10.1 to see the list of changes we did regarding which projects it'd be built.

Besides the build repo, the most important changes we did is at the android_bionic repo, to improve the compatibility with hybris (software used to reuse the android binaries at the ubuntu userspace). You can see the patch at
http://phablet.ubuntu.com/gitweb?p=CyanogenMod/android_bionic.git;a=commit;h=d99d93be498b6da178e7f4bb9c3c1a22d6cebec2

Also, please check https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting for more information about how to port Ubuntu Touch to a new device. You can reuse the parts which are not CM specific.

Let me know in case you need any other help, either by email, or via IRC (#ubuntu-touch).

Thanks,
--
Ricardo Salveti de Araujo