From: patola@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 06:11:08 -0300
To: ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Ubuntu-phone] Desktop mode, convergence and laptop docks

Hello all,

I am quite curious about the current state of "Desktop Mode" praised by Ubuntu Touch announcements when it was show to the world.

I searched about it on the Wiki and could not find any technical documents.

The thing that I am most curious now is how it is supposed to work when 'docked', and what 'docked' would mean in this case. Plugging in an USB keyboard? An HDMI monitor/TV?

Will it work with hardware such as the Atrix Lapdock (which I happen to own to use with my Ubuntu ARM devices), the padfone tablet dock, or the kickstarter project casetop?

How is it supposed to work with devices that do not have an HDMI-out plug like the officially-supported Nexus devices? Will it implement something like a virtual device on wifi via DLNA?

What are the use cases for which this functionality is being planned?

Best regards,
--
Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
IRC: ptl  - Yahoo: patolaaa