Re: [Development] DIsplaying different language

On 05/27/2013 05:29 AM, Ricky Chan wrote:
> Is there a language I could push to the phone in order for it to
> DISPLAY languages other than the ones with alphabets? I view a lot of
> traditional chinese on a daily basis, whether it is webistes or contacts.
>
> It's not about localization or inputting but just simply displaying
> the languages.
>
> Thank you.

We're not shipping any font that supports Chinese in the image.

A quick fix for this situation is to install the fonts-droid package
(that's the default font set for Android, it covers an extensive
character set, including simplified and traditional Chinese, licensed
under the Apache2 license). Not sure what the other options are, but
that one works nicely.

When installed, it's able to display both the UI in Chinese (where
translations are available and with the correct language setup), and web
pages in Chinese (tested with news.cn <http://news.cn>, webkit knows how
to pick the right font).

Cheers,

 Olivier