Re: an "emergency" mode ?

Hi,

one thing to keep in mind here is that the phones will have some sort of
introduction video explaining the gestures on the very first boot. So the owner
of the phone most likely knows all those things and won't need such a thing.
Actually, I think this can be quite annoying too if triggered by accident.
think of games, or the browser. You do triple-taps all the time there. Also,
showing off the phone to your friend you're around anyways to tell them to try
the swiping some edge.

However, where I think this could be great - and also quite important - is
while a phone stands in the shop, waiting for new people to come around and
try it out. Those people won't have anyone to explain the gesture (assuming
the salesman is busy with other people). Also, in that case the introduction
video has most likely already been consumed by another person and won't show
up any more.
In that case the user just tries 5 clicks and if it doesn't work, he moves on
to the next phone in the shelf. That's the second where such an explanation
should kick in. No more an no less.

Just my 2 cents,
Michael