Re: Ubuntu Touch Summary (week 26)

On Friday 12 July 2013 02:39:00 Michał Sawicz wrote:
> W dniu 12.07.2013 01:51, Peter Dey pisze:
> > Why not do something similar to what the Nokia N9 does?
> >
> > When a 3G connection its detected for the first time (e.g. new SIM
> > inserted), ask the user whether they would like to connect automatically.
> > If they say No, then when a data connection is needed, and no WiFi access
> > points are saved, ask them if they'd like to connect to 3G (and even scan
> > for new APs, in case they would like to e.g. use the WiFi at the cafe
> > they're in).
> >
> > If they said yes, then fallback to 3G whenever there is no saved access
> > points.
> >
> > Both cost conscious, and user friendly.
>
> There's one thing we need to make better than the N9, though... If I
> said I *don't* want to connect, the app that requested a connection
> needs to shut up about it. It's frustrating when I try to launch the map
> when abroad (roaming makes it even worse, and guess where do you need a
> map the most...), and have to dismiss the dialog 2 or 3 times before it
> lets me use the app.
>
> It should probably not ask again within the same "session", maybe only
> colorize the network icon whenever something wants to access the network
> without popping up the dialog every time.

Agreed. However, this is not particularly a bug in the N9 (e.g. also Maemo5
suffered from this) but it's a bug in QtNetwork where the session manager keeps
on triggering this connection dialog when an application tries to access the
network through QNetworkAccessManager. This was with Qt4 and there were quite
some changes for Qt5 in QtNetwork which is still under somewhat heavy
development. If we're lucky it behaves better already.

One thing I would say needs to be better than on the N9 is this:
If I have a connection set up to always connect automatically, but for some
reason want to disconnect it temporarily through the indicators, the N9
changes the settings to never connect automatically again. I found this quite
annoying.

Br,
Michael