Re: [BaseOS] Migration to Upstart user session

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Bill Filler <bill.filler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is awesome, nice work. One question: have we compared startup time
> to display the shell before and after this change? I'm noticing it's
> taking ~30 seconds to display the shell on Galaxy Nexus after adb reboot
> which seems longer than it was before. I'm wondering if there are
> upstart jobs being started now that weren't before. I know rebooting the
> phone is not a common occurance, but we should ensure we're only
> starting what is needed, and deferring anything that is needed by the
> shell until after the shell has started.

We didn't measure it for real yet, but during my tests it was quite
similar with the previous version. I also had the impression it was
slower, but when comparing both I got basically the same 30 seconds to
boot.

Once we have the upstart android bridge we'll get rid of most races we
currently have, and as a consequence we should have a faster boot as
well (no more sleeps all around). Then we can start looking at some
more optimization as well.

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo