Re: XMir, PySide, Qt Quick Controls ?

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Roberto Colistete Jr. <
roberto.colistete@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2) will Canonical help the PySide community to release PySide for Qt 5/Qt
> Quick 2 ? Currently we can't develop softwares with GUI in Python for
> Ubuntu Touch (replacing C/C++) because there is no binding to Qt5/Qt Quick
> 2. I think the Python community is very large on Ubuntu development and
> Python is ideal for not-so-simple softwares where QML lacks the power,
> libraries, etc. For example, I'm waiting full Python support on Ubuntu
> Touch to port some scientific softwares using Python modules SymPy, NumPy,
> MatPlotLib, and Uncertainties;

I can't speak for PySide, but on the phone it is already possible to do
something like this:

1. Write a backend utility that does all the calculations and "hard" work
in Python, and expose a DBus API to utilize it.

2. Write a frontend in Qml that provides the UI for the phone, which just
connects to the DBus API and calls methods it needs when it needs them.

The C++ glue required to call DBus from Qml is fairly minimal. This is
already the architecture of Friends (social networking app) so you might be
interested to see how that is set up; lp:friends (python), lp:libfriends
(glue), lp:friends-app (qml frontend)