Re: "Can I use the internet?"

On Tue, 2013-07-30 at 14:50 +0100, Iain Lane wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 08:12:42AM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-07-30 at 10:44 +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> > > In implementing the Time and Date settings[0], I need to know how to
> > > answer the question in the subject. We have NM's D-Bus API - does that
> > > cover all cases (mobile data, flight mode, containment [ok, that's not
> > > relevant for system settings, but more generally], ...) or is there
> > > something else to use here?
> >

> > To be clear, you shouldn't use the D-Bus API, but instead the library.
>
> Which library? libnm-glib? If so, why's that better?

In general it is better to use libraries instead of D-Bus API's directly
because the versioning is easier.  Most of our interfaces that we
provide D-Bus for, the library is the preferred access method.  That all
being said, in looking it up it seems that NM is slightly different in
that they consider it very stable:

  https://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/

But, I'd argue you should us the Qt interface mentioned elsewhere in
this thread over the GLib interface in Qt code.

> > […]
> > I'm a bit confused on why you need these, I don't see where in the spec.
> > Just checking to see if the wireless is connected is unfortunately not
> > enough for timezone detection, as some networks don't provide it.  For
> > instance, I believe last time I was in Germany they did not.  Sad that
> > isn't just part of the GSM spec, but eh, I guess some people really want
> > to save data.
>
> It asks for this:
>
> ,----
> | If there is no data connection, it should be followed by the caption “Setting
> | the time and date automatically requires a data connection.” and a “Wi-Fi
> | Settings…” (TBD) button. If no carrier is selected, this should be followed by
> | a “Carrier Settings…” (TBD) button. Otherwise (if a carrier is selected but is
> | not transmitting data), it should be followed by a “Cellular Data Settings…”
> | button.
> `----
>
> I'm guessing this could be "can we get to an NTP server" or "can we use
> NITZ" (assuming this is what the backend will use in the end) but the
> reasonable things that a user can do are to connect to wifi or their
> mobile network, so the UI tells them what they can do to maximise their
> chances of having the time set for them.

It's not just about NTP there in that NTP doesn't give you the timezone.
Ubuntu GeoIP does the timezone information.  So yes, we can get it from
the carrier, then if not we can fall back to network based methods.
Sorry, missed that the first time reading over the spec.  Thanks!

Ted