Re: Silent mode & vibrating: how do we implement those?

On 08/02/2013 11:41 AM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm working on implement the sound settings [1] and I've some
> questions/topics up for discussion:
>

> 1- Silent mode:
>
> the design describes it as:
> "Whenever the phone is in Silent Mode, sound should not play unless an
> app specifically overrides it (for example the alarm clock)"

My two cents
Whatever is playing the sounds for incoming call or SMS should be
configured to disable these.
> Do we currently have something similar to that available?
> To me it seems like that should be a feature of the sound server, does
> that seem right? We probably need some new api in the sdk for the
> "override" as well...
>
> (The ubuntu-system-settings app currently writes the silent mode
> status in gsettings (com.ubuntu.touch.sound silent-mode), that can be
> changed to talk to another api/service though ... or we can make the
> service reads that key)
>

> 2- Vibrate when ringing
>
> What's the right way to enable that feature? Do we have a get/set API
> for it?

There is a Qt API for Haptic Feedback, I would check that first.
> 3- Vibrate in silent mode
>
> What's the component handling the vibration? Can we teach it to check
> for the configuration value ? Or should we rather make the settings
> activate/desactivate vibrating when silent mode is changed ? (or
> something else than the settings app if the value can be changed from
> outside of the system settings)

I think Vibration is simply enabled or disabled. Silent mode could
disable vibration as well unless this is on.

Pat