Silent mode & vibrating: how do we implement those?

Hey,

I'm working on implement the sound settings [1] and I've some questions/topics up for discussion:

1- Silent mode:

the design describes it as:
"Whenever the phone is in Silent Mode, sound should not play unless an app specifically overrides it (for example the alarm clock)"

Do we currently have something similar to that available?
To me it seems like that should be a feature of the sound server, does that seem right? We probably need some new api in the sdk for the "override" as well...

(The ubuntu-system-settings app currently writes the silent mode status in gsettings (com.ubuntu.touch.sound silent-mode), that can be changed to talk to another api/service though ... or we can make the service reads that key)

2- Vibrate when ringing

What's the right way to enable that feature? Do we have a get/set API for it?

3- Vibrate in silent mode

What's the component handling the vibration? Can we teach it to check for the configuration value ? Or should we rather make the settings activate/desactivate vibrating when silent mode is changed ? (or something else than the settings app if the value can be changed from outside of the system settings)

Thanks,
Sebastien Bacher

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Sound#Phone

Follow ups