Re: How to enter PIN

On 06.08.2013 16:15, Tony Espy wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 10:05 AM, Michał Sawicz wrote:
> Hot-swapping SIMs is *not* supported for a variety of reasons.

Oh, that's a bummer - I love that in my N9... Granted, would've loved
dual-SIM more...

> I'm not a designer, so I will abstain from arguing this point.  That
> said, there was a comprehensive design done for the lock screen which I
> believe took this into consideration.
>
> On Android, a small SIM icon is shown on the lock screen at boot in
> addition to text that explains that a "SIM PIN" is required.

On Meego/Harmattan there is no numeric-only device lock, just a
passphrase one, and it's blue background with full OSK vs. SIM's green
background and pinpad, so pretty difficult to confuse the two.

For Ubuntu, if the only difference between a 4-digit device passcode and
4-digit SIM PIN would be a small icon, that's bound to cause problems.
And IMO you should still be able to use the phone if you're locked out
of the SIM for whatever reason (and know the passcode / passphrase). If
there is no passcode / passphrase used, but SIM PIN is enabled, it could
potentially be used to protect the device itself, though.

>> I'm in favour of just treating the SIM PIN as any other credential and
>> store it in the keyring, if the user so desired (only if the account is
>> protected by a passcode / passphrase). Not sure that would be OK from
>> the operators' standpoint, though.
>
> I'm not sure the operator's care...

That would be best from user experience, IMO - you can still protect
your SIM with a PIN, while not having to unlock two things.

> Android prompts for the SIM PIN before allowing the phone to be unlocked.

So no hot-swapping SIM either? Multi-user experience could hurt here, too.

> Has anyone looked at how iOS deals with SIM PINs?

Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Canonical Services Ltd.