Re: Catching CPU run-aways on Touch

Hi All,  two questions about the proposal below:

1) How do we differentiate between background non-ui processes that are legitimately using 100%+ of the CPU for extended periods of time and runaway processes?

e.g. We have a photo panorama app. After a set of photos are taken, the camera app passes these photos to a seperate background process to async stitch the photos together into a seamless panorama. This task takes say 5 min to complete at 100% CPU to complete, so should run as a lowest priority background process regardless of which app is in focus until this task is complete. When the panorama is ready, this background process then hands the completed result back to the photo app.

There are other legitimate use cases for why we might want background non-UI processes to run at 100%+ CPU usage for extended periods, how are these differentiated from the buggy processes? From my understanding we are proposing that app developers split any parts of their app that they need to run continually in the background regardless of app focus into a separate service.

2) How do we prevent developers and ourselves from coming to rely on this auto-killer, and starting to think "it's not important to fix that runaway process bug because it will be caught by the process killer, I should work on something else instead"?

Once this auto-killer is implemented will it not change developer's behaviour? How do we prevent ourselves and app developers from starting to rely on this service instead of fixing the underlying bugs?

cheers,
John