Re: URL Dispatcher information

On Wed, 2013-09-18 at 15:38 -0500, Jamie Strandboge wrote:

> On 09/18/2013 01:31 PM, Ted Gould wrote:
> > Folks have been pushing me (rightfully so) to get a little more user friendly
> > documentation out there about the URL Dispatcher.  I went ahead and wrote up
> > this Wiki page:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/URLDispatcher
> >
> > For those that are looking for the source code for the service it is here:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/url-dispatcher
> You said:
> "QML applications can use Qt.openUrlExternally(string) method"
>
> I used in a test QML app:
> Qt.openUrlExternally("http://www.ubuntu.com";)
>
> and when I click it (on the desktop), it uses xdg-open.
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/url-dispatcher/url-dispatcher is running in my
> session. Are http URLs supported with what is in the archive now?

So this will depend on the Qt backend that is used.  As we don't expect
the desktop to use the Mir/Touch backend, so I don't expect that on the
Ubuntu Desktop apps will call URL Dispatcher.  That being said the
language there is a little optimistic even on Touch.  This merge has to
land before that all works:

https://code.launchpad.net/~aacid/qtubuntu/qtubunturl/+merge/181752

When it does that'll tie the Qt libs to the Platform API to make that
come together.  For today, if you want to play, you can grab the
url-dispatcher-tools package and use the url-dispatcher utility to send
URLs.

Ted