Re: Any chat apps being currently developed?

On 09/25/2013 06:36 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 25 September 2013 21:26:08 Sayantan Das wrote:
>> Can anyone shed any light on chat apps ? Will empathy be ported to Touch?
>
> I don't think empathy itself will be ported to Ubuntu Touch (well, it always
> can happen through the community) but the messaging app on Ubuntu Touch is
> based on telepathy. Which means, at some point it should support all the chat
> protocols supported by telepathy (or empathy for that matter) directly
> integrated into the rest of the phone's messaging capabilities.
>
>> is there be any app supporting viber/whatsapp/line being developed?
>
> Somewhere I read about an attempt to port the N9's whatsapp app to Ubuntu
> Touch, but no idea what's the current state there.

Note, for this to work well the app likely needs access to Contacts. The
messaging app is currently trusted to work with it and there is apparmor policy
for accessing the address-book-app DBus service, but address-book-app does not
integrate with trust-store yet, which means that the apparmor policy group
allowing this is 'reserved' and not generally available to apps in the app store.

In short, for 13.10 an app could be written that uses its own contacts but not
the global contacts. Once LP: #1227821 is fixed, the policy group should be able
to move to 'common' and then appstore apps would be able to use the global
address book.

[1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/address-book-app/+bug/1227821