Why isn't Ubuntu-Phone using Firefox Mobile?

Why is Ubuntu-Phone developing its own mobile web browser? Doesn't it make more sense to use Firefox Mobile?

I like Firefox because it is more customizable and embraces Open-Source more fully than Google/Chromium. Firefox/Mozilla also does a lot more to protect user Privacy.

On an aside, I wish Ubuntu was more active with respect to protecting user privacy in the software choices it makes. It seems that the "design research" Ubuntu/Canonical does affords Privacy little weight in the analysis of things, certainly much less than I would like (as of late).

Follow ups