Re: Installing click packages without Ubuntu-one

> There are many user-facing advantages to authenticating users, they
> are being loosely captured here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppStore/Decisions/AuthenticatedDownloads

About the listed rationales:

1/ Reinstalling is already possible on the desktop (and opt-in)
2/ http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=stellarium ?
Requiring to identifying users may indeed provide more accurate numbers.
But this has a privacy cost. Is popcon so bad?
3/ Fair enough. You could also just publish an update for the malicious
package that would remove it and popup something to the user (or
whatever else, this is the same as if a malicious package was found in
Debian repositories).

All in all, it seems to me that this app management workflow could have
been implemented in a way that would have preserved the user anonymity.
It's a shame that the server side of click is non-free, the community
could have helped here.

>> AFAIK it is already possible on the desktop (the "Sync Between
>> Computers" menu item). And it still allows the software center to be
>> used without an Ubuntu One account.
>
> As mentioned before, Ubuntu One in this case is only the account, not
> the file sync service.

I was talking about the account too.