Re: How do I know an app is safe to install?

Hi,

On Monday 14 October 2013 18:09:14 David Planella wrote:
> In addition to all what Dave is saying, if you want to know more about this
> app, including links to the source code:
>
> http://notyetthere.org/?p=351

Actually I share Jeremy's concerns. And I think neither of Daniel's and
David's or Dave's comments are really addressing this issue:

* Dave: yes, the app passed the security checks. But given that the security
checks only deal with the binary blob it is debatable how useful those checks
are. IMHO they aren't useful at all in regard to security. I could sneak in
code that starts sending all your logins to myself and no one would notice it,
I bet.

* David: There are no relations to the source code and the uploaded binary
package. In this case all I can do is to give you my word that I won't do any
bad things. But in theory I could publish some source code and build the
binary out of some different code. You wouldn't notice for sure. Btw. because
of the missing trusted relationship between the uploaded binary and source
packages I didn't bother to upload the source package to the store.

* Daniel: Yes, it is confined in AppArmor but note that it has the networking
capability (mainly because it's enabled by default and I forgot to remove it -
will be gone in the next update). So even though this app might not be able to
steal your address book, I could still send out your Ubuntu SSO credentials
over the network once you set it up.

Jeremey, one thing you can do, is to install the app called "Permy". It shows
you who made the app and which AppArmor permissions it has. Unfortunately
that's all we can do so far. There is no way to be sure what's in the app's
binary right now.

That said, unfortunately this is how all the other mobile app stores work too,
and basically how 95% of all software on Windows and Mac is distributed. I
don't want to use that as an excuse but thing is, this is what the market
demands right now. App Developers don't want to publish their code and the
vast majority of users doesn't seem to care about anything security at all
anyways. It's a sad situation for people like us who actually DO care about
security.

However, I haven't given up hope that at some point someone will set up some
App Repository for Ubuntu Touch which requires developers to upload a source
package, the binary will be built on the trusted server and the exact same
source archive published along with the binary. But when this happens, I'm
sure it will only hold the geeky FOSS apps. For me personally that would be
enough as I tend to write all the apps I use myself anyways :P Would be
awesome to have a way to publish them in a trusted way to my "customers".

Br,
Michael