How do I know an app is safe to install?

I noticed today that there is an app called "Ubuntu" showing up in the dash today that is a two-factor authentication enabler. It looked good to me as I need a two factor authenticator for a few of my online accounts. My issue today is that I cannot see who the developer is, if that developer has released any other apps, or even what permission the app is requesting. How do I know this app is safe? Are these features already present and I simply don't know how to see/access them? If they are not present, are they planned? I don't really feel safe installing applications from the Click App Store at the moment. Thanks for any help with this!

Follow ups