Re: Policy: filing bugs against Ubuntu packages instead of upstream projects

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 26.11.2013, 20:56 +1300 schrieb Thomi Richards:

> I also believe that the correct place for almost all bugs to be filed
> is against the upstream projects itself (at least, for the core
> Canonical/Ubuntu projects - I assume we're having this conversation in
> the context of canonical-sponsored Ubuntu Touch projects).

bugs that happen inside the image need to be filed against the distro.

there are plenty of tools that will only operate on distro packages, the
#ubuntu-bugs team will not triage non ubuntu bugs etc etc.

lets please not drop policies, behavior and tools we established over 9
years of distro work. indeed upstream projects should have their own
bugtrackers for all non distro related bugs, but bugs that happen in the
distro should be filed against the distro. these bugs happen in context
of the image and in interaction with other packages, filing them against
upstream only will make them unnoticed by 100s of bug triagers.

generally only the ubuntu-bug tool should be used to file them (it sets
the right tags for the various tools to find them and should ideally
attach all logs the triager needs). in case that is not possible
(because you have network problems or whatever) the Avengers wikipage
provides the direct links to the launchpad form.

in case you feel a bug needs specific upstream attention, add an
additional upstream task for the project ...

ciao
	oli