good news I got my nexus 4 making phone calls in ubuntu on windmobile in Canada(3G AWS UMTS:3)

The trick was to use the older 4.2.2 android firmware, then

The following is my summary of these two xda links specifically for
nexus 4 as of November 26, 2013.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=38190981
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1995440

1)adb reboot-bootloader
2)fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.3-mako.img
3)Choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode
4)In CWM recovery, browse to 'flash zip from SD card' then select it
using Power button. Press the Power button again to select 'Choose zip
from SD card'
5)Using the Volume buttons navigate to Update-SuperSU-v1.04.zip file and
select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next
screen. The installation should start.
6)Once the installation process is completed, return to the main
recovery menu and select 'Reboot System Now' to reboot the phone. The
device will take about five minutes to boot for the first time. AFTER
THIS YOU WILL HAVE ROOTED your ANDROID 4.2.2.
7)Run supersu from within android 4.2.2
8)install root check app from play store to confirm root is indeed there.
9)install multirom manager
10)follow the recipe from here:
http://www.addictivetips.com/android/dual-boot-android-ubuntu-touch-or-firefox-os-on-nexus-4-7-with-multirom/
The multirom manager requires a kexec-hardboot patch to the kernel 4.2.2
to be installed.  That's done just be checking the checkbox for kernel
and selecting 4.2.2 DONE.
11)reboot and touch screen, select ubuntu touch and press the Boot button.
12)make a voice call works with windmobile phone provider.
http://www.windmobile.ca/
13)connect to wifi hub works with my draytek wifi router.
14)browse to ubuntu.com works.

AVOID THE ANDROID 4.3 UPDATES LIKE THE PLAGUE OTHERWISE YOU RISK LOSING
VOICE AND MOBILE DATA CAPABILITY.  IN PLAY STORE SETTINGS, DISABLE ANY
AUTO-UPDATING FOR ANY APPLICATIONS.  Also there are notifications in
Android at the top saying "System Updates downloaded.  Touch to
install." DON'T touch. Don't install.