Re: bad news: I bricked my nexus 4 after making image writeable and updating saucy stable on it

On 11/27/2013 04:58 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi, On Mi, 2013-11-27 at 15:41 -0500, David Marceau wrote:
>
>> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ... update-initramfs:
>> Generating /boot/initrd.img-touch
>> Writing Boot Image /dev/disk/by-name/boot Press Return to
>> continue.
>
> while it is true what the others said in their answers, the
> updating of the initrd should just work fine and definitely *never*
> prompt for user input ...

It's not the initrd that prompted for user input when updating.

In my case, it's aptitude that prompted "Press Return to continue"
once it has completed installing/updating all the marked packages.

Please recall I went into dangerous territory when touching the
.writeable_image which allowed me to do an update from apt in the
first place.  It's my fault this happened, but I never expected to
brick because of it.
> adb shell touch /userdata/.writable_image reboot
>
> apt-get update apt-get install aptitude aptitude shift-U g g

Here is the exact output as displayed from aptitude:
> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ... update-initramfs:
> Generating /boot/initrd.img-touch dpkg: warning: version 'touch'
> has bad syntax: version number does not start with digit grep:
> /boot/config-touch: No such file or directory WARNING: missing
> /lib/modules/touch Device driver support needs thus be built-in
> linux image! FATAL: touch: not absolute path. ERROR: could not open
> directory /tmp/mkinitramfs_lWoWIN/lib/modules/3.4.0-3-mako: No such
> file or directory FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or
> directory reading ramdisk from /boot/initrd.img-touch Writing Boot
> Image /dev/disk/by-name/boot Press Return to continue.

Once I rebooted after this update within aptitude, that's when I
bricked the nexus 4 until I reflashed.

The other important thing to note here is I used Android MultiRom
Manager to install Ubuntu Saucy stable on the Nexus4.  MultiRom
Manager is like a grub for the Nexus phone because I can select which
os to boot: android 4.2.2 or ubuntu saucy.  The phone setup almost
completely feels like my desktop with the Multirom manager installed.
 The only thing that doesn't feel like the desktop was this
writeable_image touching and update error for initramfs-tools which
led to the bricking.

Cheers,
David Marceau