Re: LP: #1260712 post-mortem and improving our processes

On Dec 17, 2013, at 10:50 PM, Alberto Mardegan wrote:

>But if I got it right, Barry needed an asynchronous method *implementation*,
>on the server side.

Correct.

>Actually the tutorial you linked if mentions that it's possible, however it
>doesn't document it:
>
>http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/doc/tutorial.html#asynchronous-method-implementations

I really should submit a patch for that documentation, at least illustrating
the techniques that I've used.

http://tinyurl.com/l5j2d6e

The original reason to switch to an asynchronous service-side implementation
was so that control could be passed back to the main loop, otherwise the
system-image service -- which also acts as a client of ubuntu-download-manager
-- couldn't react to signals coming from u-d-m.  With a synchronous
ApplyUpdate() method, everything would just deadlock.

-Barry