[qml] Using a timeout on a delegate?

Having a little trouble with QML, once again.

I have a function which is called periodically (it's used to set the
visible property). When the function finds some value to be true, I want
to change a property after a 3 second timeout.

The closest I have got so far, is creating a Timer object, and setting
it running from the function. However, my delegate is a ListItem
element, and won't allow me to put the Timer within it. That means the
Timer cannot set the delegate property once triggered.

Any ideas?