Avoiding spying via the microphone and camera [Was: Sharing dynamic informations between the user session and the greeter]

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so starting a new one.

On 03/07/2014 04:39 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> But they behave very differently: music should keep playing at the
> lock screen but not the greeter, the camera and mic should keep
> recording at the lock screen but not the greeter, Touch apps may allow
> limited access at the lock screen but not the greeter, your preferred
> keyboard layout should persist at the lock screen but not the greeter,
> screen magnification should persist at the lock screen but not the
> greeter, and so on.

This reminded me about how we are going to deal with an application recording
audio and video. (I don't want to get into a situation where an app can be
uploaded to the store to eavesdrop or spy on users via the mic or camera).

There are open bugs on this[1][2] and there is a nice summary in comment #14 of
LP: #1224756[3]. I don't think this ever made it to the list, so I figured I'd
both put the information out there and ask a couple followup questions here.

If you haven't read the summary in bug 1224756[3], please do so now before
responding to this thread. People might also find the account privileges[4] spec
useful.

Matthew, by your comments in this thread it seems design requires a visual cue
in the lock screen if audio/video is recording (which sounds ok to me). Is this
accurate? Are there designs for that and the other parts of summary point '2'
(I'm particularly curious about how we will handle fullscreen apps)? Is there a
blueprint/work item for that and to implement the work that you know of? (I'd
like to subscribe)

Thomas, I know the trust store prompting work has good design and is ongoing
(great!), but I wanted to ask about aggregated prompts (ie, dealing with the UX
surrounding when an app tries to record both audio and video) -- are these in
scope for the coming months?

Ricardo, I was curious about the status of the camera service[2]? Is this still
in scope for the coming months? Is this captured in a blueprint? (I'd like to
subscribe)

I know that the trust store needs to be in place before the pulseaudio and the
camera service can integrate it, so I won't ask about that. :)

Thanks!

[1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1224756
[2]https://bugs.launchpad.net/touch-preview-images/+bug/1230366
[3]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1224756/comments/14