Landing team 14.03.14

Hey,

What a way to end the week! A new image was promoted (#237) and Qt 5.2 is now in the archive! Still some work is needed to finish the transition, but good progress on that.

On the landing side, we do assign silos again (as Qt 5.2 silo is freed now), but we wait to have a first Qt 5.2 image before publishing more changes. Think to dist-upgrade for testing until we get a new proposed image (but be aware that some clicks applications will break with such, more on that below).

#237:
- uploads inherited from the desktop (indicator-sound, unity7) related components
- drop of python 3.3

The dogfooding on it was +1 (Alan couldn't reproduce Selene's issue mentioned yesterday) and Dave didn't find any new issues as well.

Then, we started an epic transition to Qt 5.2: 122 packages were rebuilt in the archive, some last minute code and crash fixes entered as well as some tests fixes. Some tweaks to get everything migrated in the release pocket was done (as some components are not building - temporary as we'll get more fixes next week - anymore on some architectures). This is the biggest landing for CI Train we ever had (and it removed a lot of locks ;)), and we had to work on multiple unseen last minute issues of course at every level. I want to thanks everyone involved in helping in one way or another into that tremendous work spanning over multiple hours of continuous effort!

Once Qt 5.2 was promoted, we still had more work to proceed):

0. messaging-app (in progress)
To avoid getting AP tests failures on the new image, some fixes are in messaging-app trunk and this is getting tested and released in the archive as we speak.

1. Framework update: fundations (done)
However, this was not the end of the story: we had to bump (after some random poking around first and with a real fix then) the ubuntu framework as the Qt 5.2 ABI breakage is not backward compatible. Some click apps in the store needs to be rebuilt.

2. Framework update: click store (in progress)
To get the click apps rebuilt but still available with the previous framework, the store has to be able to accept new frameworks. This is getting implemented as we speak.

3. Core apps updates (depends on 2.)
New click packages for applications that are not going to work without a rebuild or test fixes on the default will be uploaded to the click store. Those are:
* camera-app
* gallery-app
* notes-app (with some fixes merged to trunk for AP tests)
* music-app
* ubuntu-terminal-app.

They will all be bumped to be dependent on the new framework (ubuntu-sdk-14.04-dev1, policy: 1.1). Note that applications that don't need a rebuild (basically pure-QML applications and html5 applications) don't need to update their manifest as the phone declares as well the previous framework.

4. New image with Qt 5.2 (depends on all above for image #238)
A new image will be kicked with all that shiny new code and fixes! Some dogfooding will occur by the usual suspects to assess the state of that image.

5. Apps in the store
In parallel, Alan is reaching out the application developers that needs a rebuild and bumping their framework to work on the new image (they won't until then). I guess that gives the week-end until we eventually take the decision to promote an image anyway, so seeing the few numbers of them, that should be doable to get that ready before we promote the next image!

Let's cross fingers that everything goes according to the plan!
Cheers,
Didier

Follow ups