Re: Porting project ;)

On 03/16/2014 06:03 PM, scu.santiago wrote:
Hi! My name is Martin, I'm from Argentina. I am very excited with the commitment of the Ubuntu's community to make this incredible OS reach those technology highlights. I want to become a member of phone's team. Currently, I have the project to port Ubuntu for my mobile device , Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (T210). I can programming in C/C++, java, but I need help of developers with experience in porting. If someone's interested, I will be extremely grateful.

Well, I think the best way to get started is to make yourself familiar with the Android tree and Android build tools, especially with the repo command. Pick your favorite ROM for your device, preferably one that is close to AOSP like OmniROM, build it from source and run it on your device.

Once you have completed this and you are running your own build, get the AOSP-based phablet tree. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/AOSPBuild for more details. However, I suggest to use the phablet-4.4.2_r1 branch that is not yet mentioned there.

Use the device and kernel packages that worked in your first ROM build as a starting point and read the porting guide https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting for information, what you need to change. However mind that the porting guide needs updating too, but it still is a valuable resource.

If you run into any issues or have more questions, I am sure you will find help here in this list. Be sure to include enough details on what you did and what is happening.