X86 Emulator Update 2014-04-09

Hey,

I know everybody is waiting for a working X86 emulator, so just an
update at what was done and what we're currently working on.

Done:
 * Android package is now generating images for the generic_x86 target
 * Images for generic_x86 are now published by live-build, cdimage and
system-image
 * Initial i386 android toolchain published in the archive, but not
yet functional (image fails to boot if built with it)

In Progress:
 * Packaging split and rebuild to create a Qt stack which is
compatible with OpenGLES on i386
   - As we found out that libqt5gui5 is not ABI compatible when built
with a different gl (e.g. gles) backend, we decided to update the
original symbols and rebuild everyone to have a dependency chain that
is either compatible with either versions, or specifically to the
GL/GLES ones.
   - An updated version of qtbase and qtdeclarative (together with the
ones built with the gles backend by default) are already available in
a private PPA (so we can have builds on real machines). Work is in
progress to rebuild the reverse dependency chain, at least enough to
create a working X86 image.
 * Investigating the issue with our i386 android toolchain

To be done:
 * Working image based on a PPA that proves that we're able to have a
Qt stack which is compatible with OpenGLES (only replacing the
packages that are affected by the GL backend configure option).
 * Update our ubuntu-emulator flashing tool to be able to create and
run x86 images.

As we're hitting final freeze this thursday (and the Qt packages are
not only common to the Touch image), we should only be good to land
this once 'u' is open for development. If everything goes as planned,
it should be available from our archive by the end of this month.

Thanks,
--
Ricardo Salveti de Araujo

Follow ups