Re: Dialer-app Customization

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Chris Wayne <chris.wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> * Custom Hooks run on USSD codes: Maybe running an operator's specific
> USSD code pops up an app that shows them their minutes/data usage or allows
> to pay the bill?  Or maybe running #2# pulls debug information from the
> phone and sends it to the operator

That shouldn't really happen. If operator wants to show you something like
this, that comes as a response to your USSD comand request either as a
clear response or a text message.

> * Ubuntu specific USSD codes:  To enable disable settings without having
> to launch the settings app

I think those should be MMI commands not USSD ones. MMI commands are
executed immediately when the command parser recognizes the command, and
are not sent out to the network. They look pretty similar to USSD ones,
however they have this tiny exception.

> Keep in mind that any plugins or apps would have to be contained in
> /custom to be useful for oems/carriers.

So, do I get it right, that operator/oem specific MMI commands (not USSD)
can be provided through some plugin system?

> Are there any other areas of customizations here that we've missed?  Has
> there been any design around USSD codes and how to handle/customize them?

If the previous question of mine is valid, i.e. operators/oems can provide
their MMI command interpreters, then I think that's more or less we need to
have.

Cheers,
Zsombor