Re: Call for Testing: GPRS/MMS Provisioning Update

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Tony Espy <espy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 04/09/2014 12:59 PM, Zsombor Egri wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Tony Espy <espy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:espy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>     On 04/09/2014 01:43 AM, Zsombor Egri wrote:
>>         Hi,
>>
>>         On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Tony Espy <espy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>         <mailto:espy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>         <mailto:espy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:espy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
>>
>>              To test this change, you'll need to manually delete the gprs
>>              settings file created by ofono, as provisioning only occurs
>>         once,
>>              after which the required settings are read from this file.
>>

>>         Have you thought about the case when the user sends an USSD
>>         command (or
>>         whatever other ways) to operator to get the GPRS/MMS
>>         configurations? Or
>>         when the operator pushes the new settings to the device?
>>
>>     I've thought about it, but neither are currently in the plans for
>>     our first version of Touch.
>>
>> Ok. Consider also SIM Toolkit, that may also have apps to request
>> configuration data. Or dialling to service numbers (SDN from SIM) may
>> also result in receiving provisioning messages.
>>

> SIM Toolkit is fully supported by ofono, however at this point we're not
> planning on implmenting full STK support in Touch, as this requires
> platform and UI intgration work.  I'm not saying it's something we'll never
> support, however a decision was made to defer this in our initial release.

Yep, saw it in the other thread.

>>  Also, if operator sees that PICS does not have the
>> auto-provisioning set, they will pre-configure the settings.
>>

> I'm not familiar with the term PICS.  Please define.

PICS = Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement, ETSI thingie [1].
This is the sheet operators take to FTA testing. Basically it is a sheet
containing all ETSI stuff in it having statements like not supported,
partially supported (then specified what is actually supported) and fully
supported. Some of the statements are gonna fall on us to complete, like
this particular thing. And some UI-related things as well.

>  Another way - as Symbian used to do - is to store a big set of operator
>> specific APs in the phone, so whenever the SIM is registered the proper
>> AP set will be used. How doable would that be?
>>

> I assume you're using AP and APN inter-changeably?  If so, both mbpi and
> apns-conf.xml are big sets of APNs that are pre-configured for operators
> world-wide.  As I described earlier, whenever the phone boots and a new SIM
> is detected, we query these APN sets based upon the MNC/MCC/SPN/IMSI read
> from the SIM and provision a number of APNs based upon this query.  So
> unless I'm missing something, we're already doing what you're proposing.

Ehh, sorry, it was a typo, I meant APN, not AP :) And yes, we are on the
same page :)

> Note, we also will also OEMs to customize the set of APNs we ship as part
> of our standard image.

Obviously! Operators LOVE to customise stuff to their needs :) Not just
colours, they also love to block certain features the platform provides...

Cheers,
Zsombor

[1] https://archive.org/details/etsi_ts_151_010-2_v06.04.00