Re: Internationalizing app metadata

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Rodney Dawes
<rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2) Would inline translations have any effect on the image size
>> compared to having the translations in a .mo? (More specifically for
>> the description bits as the question re: Names was already answered in
>> the other thread)
>
> Virtually no. As plain text, the .desktop file will compress extremely
> well, unlike the .mo files. There may be a slight increase of a few
> bytes, for a few apps, but I don't see it causing any issue with image
> size.

I'm curious about this.  While .mo message catalogues are a binary
fortmat, I would have thought the majority of their content would be
text (the english and translated versions of each string).  I would
have thought these would compress to a similar degree as plain text.

James.