Re: Internationalizing scopes

On 2014-04-17 03:27, Rodney Dawes wrote:

>>> Yes, we agree (that's what I wrote as well). As I said, the langpack
>>> concept makes a lot less sense on system images where it doesn't
>>> matter which "package" the bit you update (a .mo file) came from.
>>>
>> Deb based language packs (for core stuff) do make sense when phone
>> oem/service provider system images are created. Their rootfs gets just
>> the languages they need (not all languages), saving disk.
> But the update story is horrible, because the only way to update is to
> upgrade the entire OS image. As is the story for anyone who buys a phone
> with those langauges, and needs a different language.
>
> We can do better than that.

I can agree with that from personal experience.

When you buy you get a set of languages. Maybe English + Spanish, maybe
German + French + Italian, maybe Russian + Ucrainian + Polish + English.
So you buy a phone, it has no s/German/Your tongue/. You find an
inofficially provided image by some dude on the web. Reflash the phone.
Run into funny side effects like oem/ operator features that don't work.

Now, for me personally, I managed, but most people I know can't do this.

It is worth noting Android has quite a number of preset languages making
it very likely you find something you can at least read whether you're
from America, Europe or Asia. In a sense they hide the problem because
majority groups will be happy and everyone else won't get heard if they
complain…

Just my two cents,
Christian