Re: tabulation key within the main on-screen-keyboard

* David Marceau <uticdmarceau2007@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you Selene for sharing my pain with the ubunt-touch
> on-screen keyboard.  It's really hard to use emacs with the
> current OSK.

Emacs is hard to use with just one or two fingers, period.  Touch
screens and key chording don't get along very well.

The UI concepts I had in mind were more along the lines of
swiping between letters instead of tapping, holding a key to
shift to a different set of characters, sliding off a key to
indicate modifiers or alternate glyphs, adaptive bayesian text
prediction to fix typos and guess what's coming next, integrated
text-editing functions, and making the layouts highly
customizable by end users.

> I'm also wishing the precious screen real-estate would be preserved.
> How hard is it to produce a full keyboard/mouse for a
> cellphone. ...  I would have preferred a fully-integrated
> keyboard into the phone with no bluetooth ...

Hardware companies tried in the past.  For example, the HP 200LX,
the Sharp Zaurus SL-C860, the Sony Clie PEG-UX50, even the Nokia
N810.  None of these were hugely successful, and physical
keyboards of that size were mediocre at best.  My thumbs hurt
even thinking about trying to type on my n810.  The market has
mostly decided that a flat slab of touch-sensitive smart glass is
the way forward.

Canonical doesn't make hardware though; it merely tries to make a
better user experience on existing hardware.

A completely flat surface is a bit hard to type on, even when
it's the size of a real keyboard and can handle all ten fingers.
Look at the Touchstream LP keyboard for an example.  Great and
innovative hardware, awesome gesture handling, but ultimately not
as nice for text entry as a traditional keyboard.

> Why can't there be some standard keyboard manufacturer for all
> phones with a standard connector for all future phones?
> Shouldn't clamshell keyboards/mice on phones be a standard?

Standard connectors, yes.  MicroUSB and Bluetooth pretty much won
that war.  Except for Apple, which refused to use MicroUSB even
when the EU made it a requirement.

Otherwise, getting people to agree well enough to make anything
on a phone standard is pretty much impossible...  especially with
the huge variety of very different things people use their
devices for.  Your earlier example of emacs on a phone
demonstrates that point -- the amazing diversity of the population.

There won't be one solution which works for everyone.  The best
we can hope for is to do one thing and do it well, and make sure
it addresses many of the most common needs.

-- Selene