Re: Customized Upstart Jobs/Overrides

On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 17:01 -0400, Chris Wayne wrote:
> We currently have some upstart jobs that set certain env variables,
> like the dconf db/profile to use the customized dconf keys.

It seems like this should be the default, not something in the custom
tarball. Is there any reason we'd not want to enable the custom DConf DB
if it exists?

> Also a carrier may want to enable/disable certain services (think 4g
> tethering) for example,

This seems like it'd be better handled with a DConf key for that
service. It's also allow it to be more dynamic.

> or maybe a different provider for ubuntu-location-service.

Here we should probably provide a way to add these via a click package.

All in all, I'm not against Upstart having the feature, but it's a big
scary stick and basically an unsupportable interface. If we change the
signals or the job names in an image update, suddenly that update breaks
that customization tarball and device, potentially in a hard to fix
manner.

Ted