Re: Customized Upstart Jobs/Overrides

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 17:01 -0400, Chris Wayne wrote:
> > Also a carrier may want to enable/disable certain services (think 4g
> > tethering) for example,
>

> This seems like it'd be better handled with a DConf key for that service.
> It's also allow it to be more dynamic.

As a real world example of the services we might want to disable:

- mediascanner service
- urldispatcher
- mtp-server

- mediaserver (Android)
- drmserver (Android)
- installd (Android)
- sensorservice (Android)
- sdcard (Android)

But really, the requirement is the ability to arbitrarily disable any
of our services, and the mechanism needs to live in the customization
layer.

The list above isn't too long, and we have a decent solution for the
Android services. So at least in my case, we're only talking about
between 3 and 6 services... (for now).

I guess my question is, is patching each individual service to look
for a dconf key to decide whether to start or not the better
architectural decision than disabling them via the init system?

Looking for guidance here.

Thanks.

ps, can you explain how the dconf mechanism is more dynamic?